Southern California Primate Research
- About the Forum
- The Southern California Primate Research Forum (SCPRF) was founded in 1994 as a way to bring together primatologists, students of primate
behavior, and other interested persons for regular exchanges of ideas and
information. The Forum meets one Saturday each year for a mini-conference featuring lectures by local and visiting scholars
in the fields of primatology and human behavioral origins. We
also encourage students from local universities to become involved and
present findings from their graduate research. The Forum host rotates
among the campuses of any interested southern California college or
university, as well as the major zoological parks. Recent hosts have been
USC, UC San Diego, UCLA, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, the Los Angeles
Zoo, and the San Diego Zoo. Some meetings have themes, such as primate
conservation, Darwinian feminism or the study of primate culture, and we
invite speakers from across the US who can address topics that are of
interest to local researchers, students, and zoo personnel.
Proceeds from the gate donations are used to fund airfares and stipends for
future forum speakers.
- Program for the Next Forum
- The next forum, Great Ape Fieldwork in the 21st Century will be held from 1-4pm on 27 April 2013 at USC. Speakers are Roberto Delgado (USC) and Mike Wilson (U Minnesota), followed by a roundtable discussion.
There will not be a Forum in November.
- Programs of Past Forums
- Essentials of the programs from past Forums, including some handouts
- Contact the Forum
- Email Norm Rosen for general information, to ask about upcoming Forums, volunteer to host a Forum, or to pre-register for the next Forum.
- Sign up to be on the mailing list
- Email Raffaella Commitante to sign up for email and/or hardcopy announcements of future Forums [please include "SCPRF" someplace in your email; a message that says, in total, "please sign me up" is a little ambiguous...]. We'd like to go paperless, so please indicate whether you need hardcopy. [Note: We are having tech difficulties with at least some interfaces [e.g., AOL.com]; if clicking the link doesn't work, please just copy out the address: rcommitante@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU ]
- A sampler of links from the organizers.
- Maps to Forum locations
- Note:Because both campuses and Forum locations change, and it isn't always easy to upload current maps, be sure to confirm current locations against dates of the maps available here. We'll make every effort to see these are updated, but ...
UCSD (April 1998)
UCLA (November 1999)
For comments/problems concerning this site, mail to
Site created 20 September 1999
Photos by Jim Moore, all rights reserved